Saturday, April 2, 2011

Maria Menounos Shares Her Living Well Secrets

Maria Menounos interviews Hollywood's biggest celebrities as a reporter for "Access Hollywood," "NBC Nightly News," "Dateline" and the "Today" show. While making a career out of talking to A-listers, Menounos has learned how to look like one on a limited budget.





Menounos has just penned the new book "The Every Girl's Guide to Life," in which she offers her advice on how to live a healthier, happier and more balanced life. Menounos shared a few of her diet and fitness strategies exclusively with That's Fit -- and believe it or not, she stays fit without a trainer.

Ques: What are your favorite healthy snack tips?
Maria Menounos: My days can be really busy, so when I grab a snack, I want it to work as hard as I am. I want it to give me energy, fill me up [and] fuel my body. I like to grab veggies, like baby carrots or a handful of almonds. I also look for snacks that are high in protein and fat free, like Greek yogurt, which has two times the protein of regular yogurt to help satisfy hunger. Blueberries and apples are amazing, too. I often take apple slices to work with me.

Ques: How did you learn your healthy eating habits?
MM: Much of it was trial and error. I grew up eating mostly fruits and vegetables grown from my backyard. My parents are Greek immigrants, and that's a major part of the core culture's diet. It's the reason my dad, a Type 1 diabetic of 40 years, is in such amazing shape. In college, however, I developed bad eating habits and gained 40 pounds. I came up with a simple yet effective way to lose the weight, which I go over in my book. I'm proud to say that it worked so well that I've kept the weight off ever since. I'm also lucky that through my work with "Access Hollywood" and the "Today" show, I've met and interviewed some of Hollywood's and the world's leading experts in weight loss. I share what I've learned from them in my book, too.
Ques: When are you most likely to snack? When you're stressed? When you need an energy boost?
MM: I snack a few times a day. When I'm stressed, I'm like everyone else: I crave foods that are high in fat and sugar. Our bodies are all seeking a quick jolt of energy, which is why we crave foods like these. They'll give us the jolt, but they'll also make us crash and be more tired later. In addition, they give us the calories and fat we don't need. For a true energy boost, fruits, veggies and almonds do the trick. Another trick I discuss in my book is simply sipping hot water all day long. It is soothing and calming, and it curbs your appetite. My friend Yogi Cameron Alborzian taught me the technique, and it really works.

Ques: What are some of your healthy lifestyle tips that you practice on a regular basis?
MM: Breathing in and exhaling deeply is something none of us do enough of. It really helps me. The key is remembering to do it. Doing 10 minutes of yoga in the morning is great, too. You really get to clear your head and start the day on a positive note.

Ques: How do you manage to eat healthy and practice a balanced lifestyle when you have such a busy work and travel schedule?
MM: It's funny you ask, because I actually dedicated an entire section in my book to travel workouts. I share my hotel room workout routine -- yes, out of necessity due to the amount of traveling I do with work, I created hotel room exercises using the bed, the desk, the wall. I also include my Lazy Woman's Workout -- another workout I created that I do when watching TV in bed. There's also a door gym I talk about that allows you to exercise all your body parts via resistance cables. It fits on the back of any door and costs under $40. Fifteen minutes on that three times a week before going to work will get you nice and toned. You don't need a lot of space or a lot of money or time to do any of them.

Eating healthy on the road can be difficult sometimes, but I just try to remember that food is my body's fuel: I load up on veggies and protein-packed snacks that will help fill me up. I love grabbing a Greek yogurt; it's a convenient, fat-free snack, plus there's 14 to 17 grams of protein in every cup. It's especially great before or after a workout.

Ques: Who or what inspired you to write a guide book for women?
MM: I wrote this book because I see so many friends, acquaintances and even strangers struggle in their daily lives. They struggle to look their best, get ahead, manage finances and manage their lives. I saw myself struggle and fail when I started out, too. It all frustrates me to no end as many of us struggle and fail when we don't have to. In "The EveryGirl's Guide to Life," I share experiences and practical tips that every girl, famous or not famous, wealthy or not wealthy, can apply daily toward achieving a more successful, prosperous and healthy appearance -- and, most importantly, a more successful, prosperous and healthy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment